- The year 1917
- '1917' tour
- 'Battle of Messines' tour
- 'Battle of Passchendaele' tour
- In the footsteps of Harry & Ronald Moorhouse (UK)
- In the footsteps of Alphie Hanratty (IRL)
- In the footsteps of the Seabrooks (AUS)
- In the footsteps of Samuel Frickleton (NZL)
- In the footsteps of Pegahmagabow (CAN)
- In the footsteps of Georges Guynemer (FR)
- In the footsteps of Bernhard Johann te Löken (DE)
- More itineraries
THE EXHIBITIONS ‘1917, TOTAL WAR IN FLANDERS’
3 JUNE – 31 DECEMBER 2017
YPRES, ZONNEBEKE, HEUVELLAND, MESEN, LANGEMARK-POELKAPELLE, POPERINGE AND HOUTHULST
‘1917: Total war in Flanders’ tells the story of the infamous Mine Battle of Messines and the Battle of Passchendaele in a series of unique exhibitions and info-modules located at the most important First World War sites in the southern part of the Westhoek. From here you can follow various walking, cycling and car routes that will take you to imposing mine craters, trenches, military cemeteries, etc., which now form an integral part of the landscape. On 3 June, all the project's different exhibitions will open their doors to the general public.
CANADIAN CEREMONY OF REMEMBRANCE
10 NOVEMBER 2017, ZONNEBEKE (PASSCHENDAELE)
10 November 1917 marks the day that Canadian troops ended the Battle of Passchendaele by capturing the ruins of the village. Together with the Canadian Government, the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 and the Municipality of Zonnebeke organise an official ceremony of remembrance to commemorate the end of the battle and all casualties. The ceremony starts with a subdued reflection at the Crest Farm Canadian Memorial, followed by a torch parade through the Canadalaan. The parade follows the path of the last hundred metres of the attack and ends in Passchendaele. The ceremony will be followed by a cultural happening.
Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 | +32 (0)51 77 04 41 | www.passchendaele2017.org
10 NOVEMBER 2017,
Vlaams Vredesinstituut | +32 (0)2 552 45 91 | www.vlaamsvredesinstituut.eu
11 NOVEMBER 2017, YPRES AND ZONNEBEKE
- 11 A.M. Special Last Post Ceremony – Menin Gate, Ypres.
- 2 P.M. Ceremony of remembrance ‘103 years Black Watch Corner – The Black Watch in Flanders’, at the Black Watch Monument in Zonnebeke
- 3 P.M. Ceremony at CWGC Tyne Cot Cemetery, Zonnebeke (organised by the French, German and British Embassies with the West Yorkshire Police Band)
- 4:30 - 6 P.M. Concert ‘The Great War Remembered’ in the St Martin’s Cathedral, Ypres.
- 7:30 - 9 P.M. Concert ‘The Great War Remembered’ in the St Martin’s Cathedral, Ypres.
DAY OF PEACE
11 NOVEMBER 2017, DIKSMUIDE (NEAR THE YSER TOWER)
Museum on the Yser | +32 (0)51 50 02 86 | www.museumaandeijzer.be
BENJAMIN BRITTENS WAR REQUIEM
BY EUROPEAN UNION YOUTH ORCHESTRA
11 NOVEMBER 2017, CONCERTGEBOUW BRUGGE - 8 P.M.
Benjamin Britten’s War Requiem is a large-scale, anti-war work for chorus, large orchestra, soprano soloist, boys’ choir, pipe organ, tenor and baritone soloists, and chamber orchestra.
POPPIES’RUN - IN MEMORIAM ALEX DECOTEAU
12 NOVEMBER 2017, ZONNEBEKE (PASSCHENDAELE)
In 1912 Alex Wuttunee Decoteau represented Canada at the Olympic Games where he competed in the 5,000 metre race. He died in an attack on the heights around the ruined village of Passchendaele in 1917. On Sunday 12 November in the afternoon, the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 and ZoLo (running group of Zonnebeke) organise a running race with a course of 5, 10 and 16 kilometres (10 miles). Part of the 10 miles circuit is, an ‘Alex Decoteau Run’ of 5,000 metres. This course with musical and visual aspects runs through the historic battlefield.
More info on registration via www.passchendaele2017.org.
Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 | +32 (0)51 77 04 41 |
INAUGURATION CHINESE MEMORIAL BUSSEBOOM
15 NOVEMBER 2017 (TO BE CONFIRMED), POPERINGE
Poperinge Tourist Office | +32 (0)57 34 66 76 | www.poperinge14-18.be
Door de coronacris kunnen openingsuren en dienstregelingen afwijken. Contacteer bij twijfel best de ondernemer zelf.
Ga je deze zomer wat vaker op stap in eigen land? Abonneer je dan op onze nieuwsbrief en ontvang maandelijks leuke tips voor recreatieve uitstappen in West-Vlaanderen!