Bayernwald (Bayern Wood)
This unique German site is located between the villages of Wijtschate and Voormezele. The site consists of two mine galleries, a mine shaft, a trench system and five bunkers. It is accessed via a footpath which passes through the restored network of trenches. A series of information panels give details of the events which took place here and explain what life at the front was really like.
Attention: tickets are not available on the location of Bayernwald.
Open every day from 0900 until 1800
€ 4pp individual ticket
€ 1,50 pp youngsters < 25
€2,50 pp for teachers
€0 children until 7 year
Groups from 20 persons: € 2,50 pp.
A guided visit can be asked at email@example.com
Duration of the visit average 45 minutes.
The site is accessible for wheelchairs. (for more information contact Tourism Heuvelland)
Entrance tickets available at
Tourist Office Heuvelland, Heuvelland Visitors Centre (Sint-Laurentiusplein 1, 8956 Kemmel)
From 16/11 untill 31/03 Tourist Office Heuvelland is closed on Mondays to purchase the tickets.
Tickets can also be bought at:
Bistro Saint-Hubert, Sint-Medardusplein 17, Wijtschate
Local shop Appetijtje, Sint-Medardusplein 4, Wijtschate
Bakkery Pauwelyn, Dries 9, Kemmel
Tourist Office Ieper, Markt 34, Ieper
- monday from 09:00 to 18:00
- tuesday from 09:00 to 18:00
- wednesday from 09:00 to 18:00
- thursday from 09:00 to 18:00
- friday from 09:00 to 18:00
- saturday from 09:00 to 18:00
- sunday from 09:00 to 18:00
- Closed on 10/11/2018 (Jachtdag 2018)
- Closed on 01/12/2018 (Jachtdag 2018)
- Closed on 08/12/2018 (Jachtdag 2018)
- Closed on 22/12/2018 (Jachtdag 2018)
- Closed on 25/12/2018 (Kerstdag/Noël/Christmas)
- Closed on 26/12/2018 (Kerstdag/Noël/Christmas)
- Closed on 01/01/2019 (Nieuwjaar/Nouvel An/ New Year)
- Closed on 02/01/2019 (Nieuwjaar/Nouvel An/ New Year)
- Closed on 05/01/2019 (Jachtdag 2019)
- Youth till 25 years: € 1.50
- Kids till 7 years: € 0.00
- From 20 persons: € 2.50 per person