Our Lady's Corner
The church tower of the hamlet Oud-Stuivekens stood as an island in no-man’s-land, overlooking the flooded lands. The Franciscan monk Eouard Lekeux manned the observation post in the church tower for 16 months. In 1916, Belgian engineers build a concrete machinegun post between the rubble of the church walls. After the war, Eduard Lekeux launched an appeal for a memorial chapel in honour of Our Lady of Victory who had saved his life.