Yorkshire Trench and dug-out
The war is still ever-present in the Ieper area, something the local population quickly learned when from 1997 onwards a new industrial site was developed along the Ieper-Yzer canal. Since then, the bodies of some 205 soldiers of three different nationalities have been recovered. This plot marks the location of ‘Yorkshire Trench', originally dug by the British in 1915. A series of information panels and a ground plan of the deep dug-out give the visitor graphic representation of trench warfare.